Anxiety is different from fear in that it lacks an object or adequate cause. It is normal to be concerned about things we value; to not do so would demonstrate a lack of care.
- Prayer is the first step in casting all your anxiety on Christ. (Philippians 4:6)
- Ask God to guide you by expressing the following prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father,
I come to You as your child, purchased by the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. I declare my dependence upon You, and I acknowledge my need of You. I know that apart from Christ I can do nothing. You know the thoughts and intentions of my heart, and You know the situation I am in from the beginning to the end. I feel as though I am double-minded, and I need your peace to guard my heart and my mind. I humble myself before You and choose to trust You to exalt me at the proper time in any way You choose. I place my trust in You to supply all my needs according to Your riches in glory and to guide me into all truth. I ask for Your divine guidance so that I may fulfill my calling to live a responsible life by faith in the power of Your Holy Spirit. “Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.” In Jesus precious name, amen.
Resolve Any Personal and Spiritual Conflicts (1 Timothy 4:1)
- You will be a double-minded person if you pay attention to a deceiving spirit.
- You need to have the presence of God in order to have “the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, [that] shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:7)
State the Problem
- A problem well-stated is half solved.
- Put the problem in perspective: Will it matter for eternity?
- The process of worrying takes a greater toll on a person than the negative consequences of what they worried about.
Divide the Facts from the Assumptions
- A peculiar trait of the mind is its tendency to assume the worst.
- If the assumption is accepted as truth, it will drive the mind to its anxiety limits.
- If you make presumptions about tomorrow, you will suffer the negative consequences, or stress and anxiety. (Proverbs 12:25)
Determine What You Have the Right or Ability to Control
- You are responsible only for that which you have the right and ability to control.
- Your sense of worth is tied only to that for which you are responsible.
- Don’t try to cast your responsibility onto Christ-He will throw it back to you. But do cast your anxiety onto Him because His integrity is at stake in meeting your needs if you are living a responsible and righteous life.
List What Is Your Responsibility
You need to commit yourself to be a responsible person and fulfill your calling and obligations in life.
The Rest Is God’s Responsibility
- Your only remaining responsibility is to continue to pray and focus on the truth according to Philippians 4:6-8.
- Any residual anxiety is probably due to your assuming responsibilities that God never intended you to have.