(Romans 12:19) “Dear friends, don’t try to get even. Let God take revenge. In the Scriptures the Lord says, “I am the one to take revenge and pay them back.”
Truths About Forgiveness
- Forgiveness does not represent weakness. It is the portal (way) to power.
- Forgiveness does not always mean reconciliation. (Romans 12:18) “If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.”
- When we forgive someone, we don’t forfeit justice. we guarantee
- When we forgive someone we don’t forfeit –or give up: justice– we guarantee it.
- Forgiveness is not just letting go, but giving the problem to your Father.
- Not Forgiving Hurts You Worse Than The Person You Don’t Forgive!
- Forgiveness is an offensive weapon, not a passive act. (Romans 12:19-21) “Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. Therefore “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”
- It is not a natural thing to do. It’s supernatural.
- It is something we cannot do on our own.
- Forgiveness guarantees justice for that person.
- It’s, arguably, the most powerful F-Word in a Christian’s vocabulary.
Important Reasons Forgiveness Needs to Become a Lifestyle.
Forgiveness-for a Christian- is not an event, but a lifestyle. (Matthew 18:21-22 ) “Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? 22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.”
- Many times after we forgive someone, it will keep coming up in our mind. At that moment, we need to ask God to help us be obedient in forgiving that person.
- We all will need forgiveness in our lives from God and others. (Matthew 18:23-33)
- If we want Grace and Forgiveness, we need to Forgive.
- When we are the offender, we want forgiveness
- When we are the offended, we want justice.
- Those who have truly been forgiven know how to forgive.
- Those who have been forgiven truly know how to forgive.
- The servant was forgiven by the king of his debt, but he did not understand in his heart the significance of the King’s measure.
- Not forgiving others displays our self-centeredness.
- Unforgiveness is a Debt Owed to You. Forgiveness is freeing that person from the debt they owe you. (Matthew 18:34-35)
- When we don’t forgive, we hurt our self more than the one who hurt us.